Our teacher/chef a lovely lady called Mrs Varma cooked…
Cake in 5mins (Amazingly soft and fluffy chocolate cake )
Rice Pulao in 12 mins
Aloo cabbage curry in 8 mins
chicken curry in 8 mins
I was so awed and spell bound that I was dancing the whole evening. I was just dying to cook in Microwave oven.
It was easier, faster and cleaner to cook in it.
My oven’s power is 900watts so adjust the timing in your oven accordingly. Else check in batches of 2-3 mins and stir the ingredients well (you’ve to stir else hot spots will set in..few portions will cook well and few will remain raw).
Gyan by Mrs Varma:
- Never cook for more than 4 mins at once in a microwave oven.
- Check after every 4 mins. Mix the ingredients and microwave again. This way you’ll know what’s happening.
- Once the dehydration sets in the food. you can’t help it.
- You’ve to keep checking till you get to know your machine well. Once you get used to it you can cook things at once for 10 mins(for rice etc).
- Using tomato puree is better than tomatoes itself. I forgot the reason why!. She also mentioned that Stuffed tomatoes shouldn’t be made in Microwave. They don’t taste good.
- Baking soda/Mitha Soda should be used while baking cakes in Microwave oven. Baking powder should be used while baking cakes in Convection oven (or) microwave oven in convection mode.
- Mustard seeds don’t splutter in the tadka in Microwave oven as heat comes from all the sides and not just from the bottom(in case of pan/kadai).
- If you think the curry, rice or anything is not yet cooked completely(just before perfection) then leave it aside for sometime as the food gets cooked in the standing time also.
- Microwaves penetrate only for 2 inches so it is better to use flat dishes to cook more.
I remember only this much. I’ll keep updating this as and when I remember more…
Please feel free to metion your observations also. I will be glad to add them.
Till the next post…
C’est votre coquette!!